Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Balmain-inspired skirt

Balmain A/W 2011
After seeing this Balmain aw 2011 skirt on the runway, and then on one of my favourite DIY blogs here, I had to have a go at making my own.

I used:
  • A thrifted skirt
  • Metres and metres of gold, silver and red braid
  • Foil ribbon
  • Silver and gold studs
  • Scraps of material
  • A needle and thread
  • Fabric glue

First of all I hemmed the skirt to a little above the knee (a shorter skirt works best with this level of bling). Then I started tacking on the various types of braid, working with horizontal and diagonal lines. 


 
When I had attached all the braid and stuck on the foil ribbon there where still patches of the skirt showing through. I filled up the gaps with scraps of material which I coiled or folded and then tacked onto the skirt. 

 

Finally I attached a number of silver and gold studs for a rock’n’roll touch and extra grip (the studs have little spikes which are pushed through the fabric and fastened). 

 

The skirt looks great teamed with an oversized red jumper and a simple pair of heels! Saved myself over $15.000 here!

 
  • Top: H&M Divided
  • Skirt: DIY
  • Shoes: Zara
  • Dog: Pug named Mr. Scribbles






No comments:

Post a Comment