Sunday, February 12, 2012

Object Rotterdam 2012

I haven't blogged for over a week as I have been touring round the Netherlands (or so it seems). Last weekend I was at the first edition of a crazy festival named Bungalup which was held at Centreparks. Based on the British 'weekender' festivals, words can't really do it justice so I wont even try!






Back to business and I visited the design fair Object Rotterdam this week. I always enjoy visiting a good fair, and this one was no exception. Although the fair itself mainly focuses on selling, there were a few designers dotted around the stands and I got a chance to interview most of them! I ran into Marjolein of Studio Drift (who also imports really cute French boots) and she told me about their latest project. Its a series of plexiglass chairs named Ghost featuring hand-drawn designs which have been drawn inside the framed using specially-designed lasers. Placed in a darkened space and using uplighting, the chairs really did give of a spooky vibe.

Another of my favourites at the fair were a series of carpets by Lizan Freijsen who did research into mould and the stains or patterns they make on walls and ceilings. These mould stains she then turned into amazing tufted carpets - or floor objects - together with the Textiellab in Tilburg. After the fair I stayed at the Manhattan hotel in Rotterdam and had one of the best hamburgers of my life, as is evident from the photo, non?

No comments:

Post a Comment